WE TREAT THE UNTREATABLE
As our initial medical application, we have developed the first specific therapy for septic cholestasis. It is our aim to lower the extremely high mortality rate of over 90%1 significantly.
Septic cholestasis causes severe damage to the liver and can occur in the course of sepsis. Experts estimate that between 1,100 and 2,200 cases of septic cholestasis occur in Germany every year. Liver damage in sepsis has been shown to have a strong correlation with mortality.2 A specific therapy is not yet available for these patients.
Our state of development
- efficacy has been demonstrated in a sepsis animal model
- the regulatory toxicity studies have been completed successfully
- the first study in humans has been approved
Our patented drug delivery technology is in the pre-clinical development phase for further therapeutic applications:
- e.g. for severe kidney diseases, cancer or infections
- for different ways of administration
We work in close cooperation with the Jena University Hospital and its globally renowned Center for Sepsis Control & Care (CSCC) as well as with experts in material and polymer research at the University of Jena.